GENERAL INFO AND COURSE MATERIALS FOR ENGLISH 9H, "PORTRAITS OF THE ARTIST":
- COURSE DESCRIPTION AND REQUIREMENTS (DOWNLOAD AND READ)
- BLOG/DISCUSSION LEADERSHIP GUIDELINES AND ADVICE (DOWNLOAD AND READ)
- BLOG/DISCUSSION SIGN-UP SCHEDULE (will be posted once everyone signs up)
- FILES AND LINKS GIVING YOU GOOD ADVICE ABOUT WRITING ANALYTICAL PAPERS, SUCH AS WHAT MAKES THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A STRONG AND WEAK THESIS; HOW TO TAKE YOUR USE OF TEXTUAL EVIDENCE (QUOTATIONS) TO THE NEXT LEVEL; HOW AND WHY TO USE A "COUNTER-ARGUMENT" IN A PAPER; ETC.
- "How 2 Not Write Bad" and other files and links giving you good, clear advice about how to avoid common punctuation errors and other mistakes (things your previous English teachers may not have told you)
- Swarthmore gives severe penalties for plagiarism (academic dishonesty). See my note on what plagiarism is and why you nevertheless SHOULDN'T be afraid of collaborating with others and borrowing good ideas from them (but be sure to give credit where credit is due).