Topic 1Introduction and Orientation to the Course
Topic 2What Happens in School: The Hidden Curriculum
- Software: Oregon Trail
Topic 3What Happens in School: Reaching the Individual Student
Topic 4Curriculum Theory and Practice (1): Progressive Education Past and Present
- Deshela and Matthew Video (Required):
- Recommended Reading:
Topic 5No class, paper and journal due
- WA copy of Paper 1 due in class. If you have not completed the paper at the time of class, bring materials and be prepared to complete it tonight in the Materials Center.
- Journal Portfolio 1 due today at class time (or after 3 observations)
Topic 6Curriculum Theory and Practice (2): Behaviorism
- Software: Math Blaster
- Recommended Reading:
- Please inform your field placement teacher if you will not be here during break week. If you are here over break and need to catch up on a field placement, please do so.
Topic 7Curriculum Theory and Practice (3): Inquiry and Discovery
- Paper 1 due (both the final version and the draft with the WA's comments) due on Friday 3/8 by noon!
Topic 8Historical Perspectives in American Schooling
Topic 9WA copy of Curriculum Project Due
- WA copy of Curriculum Project due at class time. If you have not finished the project at class time, bring your materials to the Materials Center and plan to complete it.
Topic 10Equality of Opportunity and American Schooling
****Presentation, 4/8 4:30, location TBA
Teaching for Social Justice: Sophia Academy teachers and students
- Jigsaw Readings:
Topic 11Curriculum Theory and Practice (4): Teaching for Social Justice
Topic 12Policy Questions (1)
- Groups meetings with Elaine to review poster content
- Position paper due for WA/SPA at class time
- Charter Schools
- Tough, P. Whatever It Takes. (On Reserve in McCabe)
- Federal Policy
- Brady, R. Can failing schools be fixed?
- Ravitch, D. (2011). The Death and Life of the Great American School System (On Reserve in McCabe)
- School Choice
- Standards Movement
- Teacher Certification and Preparation
- Teachers Unions
- Lieberman, M. (1997) The Teacher Unions (On Reserve in McCabe)
- Moe, T. M. (2011) Special Interest: Teacher Unions and America's Public Schools (On Reserve in McCabe)
- Articles About Chicago Strike
- Zero Tolerance Policies
Topic 13Policy Questions (2): Strategies for Reform
Topic 14Policy Questions (3): Poster Session Gala
- Journal Portfolio 2 due at class time!
- Final copy of Position Paper due 5/15 at noon!