Paper #1 Guidelines
Analysis of written comments
For this assignment you will read and respond to the student paper located in the paper #1 file, and then you will analyze that commenting process through the course readings. We will use this assignment as the foundation for our first conference.
Step 1: Read and provide written comments on the paper in the same fashion you would any paper that comes to the writing center. You can assume this is a first draft and not a “WA copy”.
Step 2: Complete the readings for the week of 9/16-17.
Step 3: Write a short analysis paper (4-5 pages) about the process of written comments. Feel free to answer any of the following questions to help structure or guide your paper. You do NOT need to address any or all of the questions.
- How did you get started with your WAing? Did you do anything before you began commenting?
- What type of comments did you tend to do first? Why? What type of comments seemed more difficult to address?
- Where did you decide to comment? How much did you write?
- What influenced your decisions to comment?
- How do you plan to share your comments with the student? What will be the relationship between the comments and conference?
- What is the relationship between written comments and revision?
- Should your comments be different than the professor’s comments? If so, how?
- What questions do you still have about written comments?
You should refer to the readings but there is no need for a works cited page unless you bring in other readings.
Step 4: Bring the first draft of your paper to class on 9/16-17. We will have a peer review session.
Step 5: On 9/23-24 submit the first draft, final draft, and any versions of your WAing in class.
During class you will sign up for a conference with me that will take place between 9/25-10/5.
Let me know if you have any questions.